968.net

never owned a porsche but at finally at 56 i will be comming into enough money to finally get another toy. its joe time finally.been looking and tracking prices and such on all 944s then been thinking on the 968 instead. in the long run which would be the best in the long run as far as using a few times a week and off the road for the winter. and what type of prices. pretty good wrench on harleys and older cars and trucks but never worked on a porsche.and what should i look at and for when i actually have money in hand,lol.thanks and def a 5/6 speed, doesn't really have to be a cab,more concerned with reliablity and performance per dollar to dollar and repair costs.

thanks joe cheese.

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe, lots of questions there. Most of us 968 owners came from 944s which are great cars but with any evolution, most will agree that the 968 addresses many of the 944s shortcomings. I purchased my 1st 968 in 1996 and have had fantastic performanec from my vehicle. The 968s best attributes are it's timeless and attractive design and technology that still stands up against modern-day sports cars. It has a 6spd, a spirited 3.0 that gets great mileage, and they really worked out many of the 944 issues so the cars are quite solid. i do my own general maintenace including brakes and the best part, the 968s are unique. Know one knows them so if you have a clean one people willthink it is a new model. prices are good but low mileage examples are getting harder to find.
Good luck.
Jeff

sorry to bug you,but been looking,wishing,944s,928,968.is the 928 a oain to own,out of the 3 which is more a drive a few times a weeker?hardest fopr parts,electrical or starting issues,watch out for this and that type of thing.hopefully i can begin actually looking for something by april or may.prices seem to be holding steady.plenty of 944s, a handfull of 928 but  a good dozen or two of 968's.i was surprized.

anyway  if anybody can direcdt me and give it to me straight,worked on plenty of bikes,cars,trucks.

or if anybody knows of something that may be up for sale march,aprile,may let me know. i am located just outside albany ny,upstate (schenectady)

Joe--see prior comments from Denis Wheary for great advice.  Denis founded the national 968 Register and his opinion carries a lot of valid weight.  I don't know much about 928s except they were V8, didn't remain in production very long, and Porsche dropped them from the line without further development.  The 924 evolved into the 944, then the 944S, then the 944 S2, and finally the 968 which was originally going to be called the 944S3 but had so many new parts and engineering improvements to the 944S2 that they gave it a whole new type, hence the 968.  If it came down to a 944 versus a 968, take the 968 every time--it's a better car.

If you want to run track events, get a 968 coupe as Denis pointed out.  If it doesn't matter to you, get a 968 cab.  You can autocross them without a rollbar, you just can't run HPDE.  I don't run HPDE because I don't want to screw up my cab with a rollbar, so I volunteer in pre-grid inspections instead and catch a ride with someone else when possible.

Of your choices, the 968 is the way to go.  Go for it, buy one, and have fun.  If anything major breaks and you can't fix it yourself, all Porsches are expensive as hell to get parts for, so hold your nose and jump into the pool.  As the old saying goes, if you can't afford Premium gas buy a bicycle.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun.

Jim Green

Portland, OR

thanks for the fast reply,i have no intention of tracking anything,just want to take it out like 2/3 times a week and enjoy the drive.i would imagine that the southern cars would be in better shape? what should i look for as the weak link in the 868,leaks,drips,door hinges,trunk rot,under carriage to look for, i know all the usual but my time is getting closer and with my bad italian luck i don't want ton get taken for a ride ,hey i know this goomba !!!lol..

starting issues,heads,exhauset,electrical??? but if i just cant cash out for the 868 what would be the best yr for a 944 the s , the turbo,and what does a pretty good shape 969 go for out that way,here i see 7,000-20,000 no wy will i spend 20 damn can get a lot newer car for that.

joe

Joe, Porsche fixed almost all the problems in the 944 when they brought out the 968.  Look for maintenance history records.  Especially look for replacement/service on the top end, stuff like timing belt, cam chain, chain guides, head gasket etc.  If the belt is old and you fry it you lose 16 valves, the head, and probably a few cylinders, major cost and pain in the butt.  As Denis pointed out, no history = mystery car, run away.  Other than paying close attention to the valve train, 968s are pretty bulletproof.

If you lean towards a 944 instead, get a 944 S2.  You're savvy, so find a good car. Drive it before you plunk down the cash. California/Arizona cars will likely be rust free, cars from the Eastern South will likely show a few humidity effects.  There's nothing wrong with buying one close to you if it's been garaged and not driven in salt each winter.  Use your head and decide accordingly.  Like Denis, I only put a couple thousand miles a year on my 968, weekends and occasional errands as an excuse to go out and exercise it.  Get a good quality trickle charger so you know it'll start Saturday morning and you'll sleep better each night.

I'm done with this thread and signing off.  Good hunting.

Jim  

Hi Joe;
I have a '95 968 Cab. and a '90 944S2 Coupe. They're different cars; the 968 Cab is a beautiful, top down cruiser, that twists and creaks in the corners (body flex), but since 1998 has always puts a smile on my face. Its a great looking rare car that still turns heads. The 944S2, (purchased in 2000) is tighter and lighter, so, factoring in the power increase in the 968, the performance of both cars is about equal. I've met guys who love the 944 look, but the 20 year old front engined fastback style (Datsun 240Z or Cobra Daytona Coupe) definitely dates the 944, and to some extent, the 968 coupes. When it rains, for long trips or on Porsche club track days (called "drivers education" or DE), I usually take the 944, because it locks up (more secure) and I'm not worried if it gets a scratch or ding. When the sun is out and its a warm day in the fall...
A local non-dealer German auto shop changes the oil on my Porsches every year, plus they do any minor maintenance, so (for insurance or re-sale) I have a complete record that shows the cars were looked at (and looking good) every year. I replaced an abused clutch when I first bought the 944, and later the steering rack and left front wheel after colliding with a football sized rock that bounced off a dump truck on the freeway. My mechanic was willing to just keep putting fluid in the leaking rack, because repairs are expensive ($2K on a $8K car), but I like my Porsches to stay in top condition. The 968 has had no issues or repairs. I drive them each about 2K miles @ year.
My recommendation is that you continue your research and become an expert on 944/968s. If not before you purchase, if you're like most of us, you will be knowledgable soon after you buy one. Find a copy of Peter Morgan's book "Original Porsche 924/944/968" to answer most questions including what to look for on each model. For me, the cabriolet is like a raw oyster: if you don't love them, there's no point in having one. You can't track a cab without a roll bar, which would ruin the 968's looks. The coupes are cheaper and lighter anyway, so if going fast and learning how to drive at the limits is in your plan, get a coupe. Track days were fun when I was 50, but now at 64, those events are not that important.
Once you've studied a bit, go drive some cars. While some folks have had luck on ebay buying sight unseen, I say don't get hasty. The first 944 I looked at was in a warehouse, hemmed in by other cars, and while the owner started it up, it couldn't be driven that day. I noticed the rear stereo speakers were not in place, hanging from their wires, the rear carpet piece did not color match the interior, and the hood had been re-painted... plus no records = a mystery car. While I was initially very excited (very reasonable price for my first sports car) I explained what I saw to my brother and cooler heads prevailed. We suspected a fire and/or flood. A flood car can be cleaned up and dried out, but the electrics rot over time and weird things happen. No bueno!
Stop by your local Porsche dealer (why not?) and chat with the parts guy, or find your local German car mechanic. We have half a dozen here in Portland who are excellent, and they usually have a notice board and know who has good cars for sale. Make contact with you local Porsche Club and attend a meeting, race, social or auto cross. Enjoy the process of buying your toy.
Joe, just got back from a week out of town and saw your post. Definitely look for a cabriolet 968, it's a toy you park in the garage for the winter and in the Spring you put the top down and gain 6 months fun the 1st day you get it out. I bought my '94 cab from an independant Porsche mechanic in Burbank CA on ebay sight unseen. I was lucky, flew down to pick it up and on close inspection it was as advertised, pretty much completely overhauled (new belts, timing chain, guides, head gasket, clutch, cross drilled brakes, interior leather, etc) so it worked out well and I drove home to Portland as a happy camper. These cars are fun, no one knows what the hell a 968 is, there are only a couple thousand cabs in the U.S. and the rare examples are a great conversation starter at your local PCA events. I sold my '87 944S coupe when I found the 968 cab, and have no regrets. The 3 litre, 240 hp, 6 speed manual, convertible 968 is my "keeper" Porsche. Find a good one and believe me, you'll grin every time you fire it up.

Jim Green, Portland OR
Buy the best example of either and you'll have a big grin on your face.  Putting 968 mirrors and door handles is a great visual upgrade on a S2 cabriolet.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Support Our Ad Partners

© 2019   Created by Ray Starbird.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service